Oral Device Therapy
Oral Device Therapy is an excellent treatment option for people with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). In fact, the American Academy of Sleep Medicine indicated that oral appliances are an excellent first time treatment option for people with snoring, mild to moderate sleep apnea, and patients with severe apnea that cannot tolerate CPAP or are not candidates for surgery.
Oral devices are small devices that are worn over the teeth, much like an athletic mouthguard. The appliance gently moves the lower jaw slightly forward, opening your airway and improving nighttime breathing. These oral appliances have provided relief for thousands of snoring and OSA patients; and their small size, comfort, and easy maintenance make them the first choice for many patients with mild to moderate sleep apnea. Each oral appliance is custom-made for each patient.
Oral appliances are:
- Compact – They are small enough to fit inside your pocket.
- Comfortable – There are no external machines, masks, air hose, and harness. Also, there is natural passive air to breath versus the CPAP-pressured air blown into your throat.
- Effective – Patients often report less snoring, improved night rest, and daytime energy level.
In severe cases of sleep apnea, the oral appliance can improve the apnea problem. Since severe sleep apnea generally is difficult to treat even with CPAP and surgery alone, the oral appliance can be used in conjunction with those treatment options to improve efficacy and tolerability.
Fortunately, the oral appliance is covered by your health insurance. We are proud to accept most major insurance policies. You can come to our office knowing that you can take full advantage of your insurance.
Medicare also provides coverage for oral appliance therapy as long as you are:
- diagnosed with sleep apnea by a physician
- have the oral device fabricated by a license dentist (approved by Medicare)
“The device is provided and billed for by a licensed dentist (DDS or DMD)”
https://med.noridianmedicare.com/ – Medicare website