Five Dental Tips to Keep Your Teeth Merry during the Holiday Season
The holidays are some of the few times in the year where we can feast, indulge, and not feel guilty about it. Although eating lots of great food comes along with the festivities, we should all remember to take care of our teeth.
Here are five tips to keep in mind to help prevent cavities:
- Feast – That’s right. Keep in mind that saliva is produced when you eat food. Saliva is beneficial because it helps neutralize harmful acids before they can attack teeth.
- Avoid frequent snacking – There’s enough food for everybody! Take breaks from eating so that your saliva can neutralize acid and repair tooth enamel.
- Use a straw – Steer the acids in your drink away from direct contact with your teeth. This minimizes any damage from the acidity, as well as any staining that may occur.
- Rinse your mouth with water – Try taking 15 to 20 seconds to cleanse your teeth after eating something acidic. Doing this simple trick stops the acid from attacking your teeth and also encourages the production of saliva.
- Chew sugar-free gum – Similar to the previous tip, chewing gum increases the production of saliva. Sharing gum at parties is also a great way to break the ice.
While keeping these tips in mind, do not forget to have fun. In addition, do not forget to brush your teeth at the end of the night. It is crucial to stay on top of your usual hygiene, even if it is the holidays.
Chew, rinse, brush, and be merry! Happy Holidays, everybody!